CHICKEN POT PIE

by - 08:22


Don’t you love it when you decide on what to make for dinner and you just so happen to have everything you need right in your very own kitchen? It’s rare, but it happened to me when I had a craving for chicken pot pie.




I started rummaging through my fridge, pantry, and freezer, and was amazed to find that I could pull this together without even running to the store. I found puff pastry leftover from my Peach Tarts, heavy cream from my Salted Caramel Oat Bars, and fresh thyme from my Slow Cooker Pot Roast.

My Walmart lady and I are so tight, she whispers price matches to me when I forget to check the ads. She thinks my boys are cute and “so well-behaved”, which makes me wonder what kid-shenanigens she witnesses on a daily basis. Because my boys are sweet, but we have our moments.

Like the time I was trying to decide whether I should buy regular or center cut bacon, and I looked down to see my three-year-old poking holes with his finger into the Saran wrapped raw ground beef!


Being a mom is exceedingly and abundantly a very humbling experience.





And that’s why I’m so thrilled when I can make dinner with what I already have. What I love about this recipe, is that it offers three shortcuts to make things easier.


First of all, I used puff pastry instead of making pie crust. Second, I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store instead of cooking my own. And lastly, I used a chicken base called “Better Than Bullion” instead of homemade or canned chicken stock. So very handy to have in the fridge all ready to go.





his Chicken Pot Pie has become one of my most popular recipes, and I think my mom is it’s number one fan! She makes this recipe a lot when she has company over. It pairs really well with a nice green salad, and that fancy lattice crust makes dinner guests feel extra special.


Don’t worry if you’ve never made one before, it’s really not too difficult. Make sure you are working with very cold strips of puff pastry. If they get too warm and soft they will be harder to work with, so you can pop them back into the freezer for a few minutes if needed. This is the best lattice crust tutorial I’ve ever seen, and it’s super helpful to have that visual if you’ve never made one before.






CHICKEN POT PIE

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon "Better Than Bullion" chicken base
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish if desired
1 egg, beaten slightly with a fork





Directions:

Allow puff pastry to thaw at room temperature and then gently unfold.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat.

Add onion, celery, carrot, and salt and sauté until onions are translucent and vegetables start to get tender.

Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Gradually whisk in milk, heavy cream and and Better Than Bullion, and bring to a slow boil.
Simmer gently over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken (5 minutes).

Turn heat to low, and add chicken, peas and thyme.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pour chicken mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish.

Cut puff pastry into 12 equal strips, using fold lines as a guide.

Lay puff pastry strips over chicken mixture, weaving it together to form a lattice pattern.

Using a pastry brush, brush egg onto the top of the puff pastry.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top of the puff pastry will be a deep golden brown color.


Cool for 5 minutes before serving.




LIKE or SHARE

You May Also Like

0 comments