Mint Oreo Cake

by - 10:47



Mint Oreo Cake




Sorry, is this freaking you out? Too much for your brain to handle? Allow me to break it down for you. 



Two layers of devil's food cake sandwiched together with minty cream cheese frosting and crushed mint Oreos, smothered in more mint frosting and covered in cake balls and mint Oreos. HELLO.

I made it for Bellie's 11th birthday, which brought with it a new member of the family.




Do not let her innocent fluffiness deceive you. She's an agent of the dark side, there's no denying.

At least she always makes me sneeze. I guess I'm allergic to the dark side. I'm also allergic to cats biting my ankles and kitty litter on  my feet when I go to bed and the stench of cat food eternally plaguing my poor nostrils.




At least I'm not allergic to chocolate. For that I am grateful.





Mint Oreo Cake


Devil's Food Cake:

Recipe from these devil's food cupcakes 

1 stick butter
5 oz. chopped semi-sweet or dark chocolate (about 3/4 cups chocolate chips)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

For Assembly:

Minty cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
1 package of mint Oreos
1 batch of cake balls (optional, recipe here)

Note: if you are doing the cake balls, you'll want to do at least another half batch. Also note: you can also use a box mix for the cake if you want to be lame.

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease two 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. In a microwavable bowl or double broiler, combine the sour cream, butter, and chocolate. If using microwave turn down the power a little and stir every 45 seconds or so. Heat and stir just until chocolate is completely melted. Beat together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and add to the chocolate mixture, mixing well. Sift in the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and powder and fold together until well combined and no lumps remain. Divide the batter between pans and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Once completely cool, crush about one row of the Oreos and mix with 1 cup of the frosting. I don't crush the Oreos too much, I just break them up with my hands because I like big chunks of Oreo, but it's up to you. Spread that mixture on top of one layer of the cake and place the other layer on top. Finish frosting the cake and then top with cake balls and line the edge with Oreos. I twisted them in half and alternated between frosting side up and cookie side up.


Minty Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz. package of slightly softened cream cheese
2 cups (1 lb)  slightly softened butter 
2 teaspoons mint extract
About 3 drops of green food coloring
2 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar

Beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed for at least five minutes. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Start with just 2 1/2 cups and then throw it in the freezer until firm and beat again for at least 5 minutes until fluffy. If you think it's still to thin you can add more powdered sugar, but the less the better. If you are using it to make cake balls though, you'll probably want to add more powdered sugar. Add the food coloring and mint extract and beat until smooth. 

Note: To make the cake balls, I used another half batch of the devil's food cake and about a cup of the frosting. I dipped them in white chocolate which I added a teaspoon of mint extract and a couple drops of green food coloring and I used melted semi-sweet chocolate to drizzle on top.







Like or Share ; )

You May Also Like

0 comments