SPICY SWEET POTATO HUMMUS

by - 06:48




Hummus is quite possibly one of my favorite dips. Well besides eating straight up sour cream on pretty much anything…even a spoon. I’m not the only one who likes that right?! I still remember the first time I had hummus and I remember thinking, thank god this tastes nothing like chickpeas! It’s not that I don’t like chickpeas…it’s just they are so dry normally…and they don’t have much flavor. It’s kind of like eating weird little balls of flavorless dough. Ok, so maybe it is that I don’t like chickpeas. But if you add in enough garlic and olive oil, turns out chickpeas aren’t half bad!






When I saw this recipe for Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus, I immediately tossed a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven. I knew I was going to love it considering my love of sweet potatoes…and I also knew that I could make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for later in the month. Plus, I really needed to use up those last few sweet potatoes I had bought when they were on sale after Christmas for .40 cents a pound! I have been making Sweet Potato Fries and my favorite Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup like they were both going out of style, but I was excited to try something new with my last two precious sweet potatoes.






And this hummus did not disappoint! In fact, I think it’s one of my favorite hummus flavors yet! It’s sweet and spicy and goes perfectly with my favorite Stacy’s Baked Multigrain Pita Chips*.  I am so glad I made a large batch to freeze and I am already dreaming up ways to use it! I think it would be awesome in a turkey wrap and can’t wait to try it out for lunch later this week.

I make hummus a lot, so I already had all the ingredients. But if you don’t, you may have a hard time finding Tahini. I find it in the “ethnic” aisle at my grocery store or you can also pick up a jar online for the same price I pay at the store. It may seem expensive, but a little goes a long way! With a 16 oz jar, you could make 8 batches (24 cups) of this hummus! So go ahead, and get your hummus on



PREPARATION


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each sweet potato with foil. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender. Peel sweet potatoes, set aside. In a large food processor (or blender), puree garlic cloves and chickpeas. Add tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, brown sugar, and spices. Puree until smooth. Then add sweet potatoes and puree until completely combined. 

Serve immediately with pita chips or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve. This makes a LARGE amount of hummus and is perfect to freeze! To freeze, place in a freezer safe ziplock bag and ensure there is no air in the baggie and freeze for up to 3 months.  



INGREDIENTS


2 large sweet potatoes (or 2 cups mashed sweet potato)
3 garlic cloves
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt




NUTRITION INFORMATION


Serving Size: 1 (93 g)      Servings Per Recipe: 4

Calories 313.7    Calories from Fat 140 45%    Total Fat 15.6 g 24%    Saturated Fat 2.1 g 10%     Cholesterol 0 mg 0%    Sodium 931.7 mg 38%    Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g 12%    Dietary Fiber 7.8 g 31%    Sugars 1.7 g 6%    Protein 8.9 g 17%




LIKE US ON FACEBOOK LINK

You May Also Like

0 comments